First Time Central Heating
What are first time central heating grants?
At ECO4 Home Grant, one of our main goals is to help eradicate Fuel Poverty in the UK. First Time Central Heating Grants are available to any household (homeowner or private renter) who currently have electric heating, gas / electric storage or no heating at all. If you receive one of the qualifying benefits you may be eligible. We want to ensure that those who most need support are made aware of the grants available.
Under ECO4 which was introduced on 1st April 2022, to qualify for a First Time Central Heating Grants your home MUST HAVE an existing mains gas supply from this date. This is in line with the Government’s policy to phase out our reliance on gas boilers by 2035.
Why are the first time central heating grants free?
Under the government backed ECO4 scheme, the key objective is to reduce fuel poverty. This grant enables households to reduce the bills and increase their energy efficiency. This funding is made available through the 6 big energy companies.
Could I be eligible?
If you don’t have gas central heating and have never had a central heating system previously, you could be entitled to a complete gas central heating system (heating system and radiators) for free! Here are the qualifying criteria:
- If you are a Homeowner with an EPC rating of D, E, F or G, or a private renter (with landlord’s permission) with an EPC rating of E, F or G
- Your home must have either no heating at all or one of the following heating systems:
- Electric room heaters, including direct acting room heaters, fan heaters or inefficient electric storage heaters
- Gas room heaters; including fixed mains gas room heaters
- Gas fire with back boiler
- Solid fossil fuel fire with back boiler
- Mains gas warm air heating system
- Electric underfloor or ceiling heating (not part of an electric boiler)
- Bottled LPG room heating
- Solid fossil fuel room heaters
- Wood/biomass room heating
- Oil room heaters
3. Someone in the property is receiving a qualifying benefit – see list
4. If no one in the property is receiving a qualifying benefit then you could receive free first time central heating through LA Flex.
There is new criteria for LA Flex so you must satisfy one of the following 4 conditions:
1. Property has an EPC rating of D (Homeowners only) ,E, F or G with a household income below £31,000
2. Property has an EPC rating of D (Homeowners only), E, F or G and one of the following: –
3. You are referred to your Local Authority by the NHS because you could be severely impacted by living in a cold home. The conditions which normally apply are respiratory problems, cardiovascular problems, limited mobility or immune suppressed conditions.
4. This is a wide ranging option which allows Local Authorities to devise their own scheme to target a high proportion of households suffering from fuel poverty. Your Local Authority would need to submit their proposals to the Government Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy for approval.